When it comes to selling your car in Australia, timing can make a difference in the value of your car. While personal circumstances may not always give you the flexibility to choose the perfect moment, being strategic about when to sell can benefit you in several ways. Here, we’ll explore the best times to sell your car, taking into account various factors that influence the selling process.
Optimal Selling Times
Worst times to sell: There are periods during the year when selling a car can be particularly challenging. These include:
- EOFY (End of Financial Year): Around the end of the financial year, dealerships are focused on clearing their inventory, often resulting in discounted new and used cars. Private sellers may struggle to compete, but consider trading in your car for an EOFY deal from a dealer.
- Holidays: December and January, during major holiday periods, are not ideal for selling cars. People tend to spend their money on gifts and vacations rather than big purchases.
- Winter: With shorter days and a general tendency to stay at home, winter is not conducive to car sales. Fewer people are actively looking to buy during this season.
Best time to sell: Spring (September, October, and November) emerges as the optimal time to sell a car in Australia. During this season, people are looking for a car to go out, and buying and selling activities heat up.
Consider Your Target Buyer and Vehicle Type
When determining the best time to sell your car, consider your target buyer and specific vehicle type:
- Students: High school students and school leavers often search for cars around November and February.
- Fuel Prices: If your car is a petrol guzzler, wait for petrol prices to drop before selling.
- Luxury Cars: Sell a luxury car when it’s between 3-5 years old to maximize its value.
- Classic Cars: Anytime is a good time to sell a classic car, but spring is particularly favorable.
- Convertibles or Sports Cars: Spring or summer is the ideal time to sell these vehicles when people can enjoy top-down driving.
Mileage and Age Considerations
To optimize your sale, keep these factors in mind:
- Newer Cars: For cars with 50,000-70,000km on the odometer or aged between 3 to 5 years, the depreciation curve is less steep. Selling within the first 3 years is generally not financially viable, especially if you have a loan.
- Older Cars: If you’re selling an older car, consider doing so before it reaches 100,000km. This milestone tends to lower the car’s value as potential buyers worry about costly maintenance.
- Well-Maintained Older Vehicles: If your older car is well-maintained and exceeds 100,000km or 7 years old, it might be worth keeping or selling to a cash for cars company.
To ensure a successful sale, follow these tips:
- Maintenance: Keep your vehicle well-maintained, servicing it and addressing any urgent repairs.
- Presentation: A well-looked-after car will sell more quickly.
- Private Sale: Selling a car privately often yields more cash than trading in at a dealer or car yard, but be prepared for the time investment.
- High-Quality Images: Invest in good-quality images to showcase your car’s features.
- Detailing: Get a professional detail and polish to enhance your car’s appeal.
In conclusion, while spring is typically the best time to sell a car in Australia, considering your unique circumstances, target buyer, and vehicle type can help you make an informed decision. Additionally, following these tips will prepare you for a successful sale, no matter the season. Happy selling!
A better way to sell your car
If you have an old car taking up space in your garage and want to sell it without the hassle of waiting for the right time to sell, we’re here to help. At Metro Car Removal, we take cars of any make and in any condition all year round.
Our process is quick and convenient, once you accept our quote we can remove your car within the day. You don’t need to worry about safety checks or testing, our team will come and inspect your car before removal and give you cash on the spot. Contact our experts today, even if you don’t have a roadworthy certificate, and receive on-the-spot payment for your car.
Contact us now and turn your old car into cash!
Call us on: 0422 600 833 or fill out our online form.